October 4 - 5, 2013
This weekend almost 100 Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts wll join together at Camp Black Mountain. The Webelos will rotate between Boy Scout Troops learning about Scouting as they begin to decide which Troop into which they will Cross Over!
Campfire is at 8pm Friday!
Representatives of the Friends of Black Mountain were unable to attend the Mount Baker Council's Executive Committee Meeting on May 16th, 2013. The CBM Study Group was slated to recommend sale of the camp as the best option for the Council.
Apparently, there was an offer presented which involved a major supporter of Camp Black Mountain leasing the camp. This offer includes a component which would allow use of the camp by Scouts, PERHAPS EVEN OPERATION OF A SUMMER CAMP. The Committee has voted to "study" this option through the Summer.
Much of this information is heresay, we are working on confirming what we've been told.
APRIL 2013 UPDATE
The business plan was not well received by the Study Group. It was characterized as incomplete and "full of fluff."
(A copy of the plan is available for download in the "Files Area" of this website.)
In the end they asked that the FOBM raise another HUGE donation amount and commit to leasing the camp for the rest of this year and all of next year.
With the evaporation of support after the Council refused to allow CBM to remain open and refunded the donations already raised, the FOBM Executive Committee doubts another donation drive would be successful.
We were not successful in reopening summer camp for 2013. Camp will be open for individual unit use and events like Camporee, etc.
The votes on our motions were as follows:
- Motion 1: 11 yes. 16 no.
- Motion 2: removed from discussion.
- Motion 3: 10 yes. 17 no.
- Motion 4: 7 yes. 20 no.
- Motion 5: 11 yes. 16 no.
We are moving forward with developing a business plan for submission May 31st.
Thank you all for your support.
A message from the President of the Friends of Black Mountain:
The Friends of Black Mountain would like to express its deepest thanks to all who have donated to our cause.
We have successfully deposited over $60,000 into the Camp Black Mountain Trust Fund!
Now, the hard work begins. We will continue to fight to get camp open for the 2013 summer camp season. We have demonstrated an ability to attract boys to camp under the most difficult of conditions. As 2013 dawns, we are supremely confident that there will be over 300 boys registered by the first week of camp. All we need is the opportunity. Look at what we've accomplished so far!!!
The next few weeks will be full of decisions and updates, please check back regularly or consider joining our Facebook group "Support Camp Black Mountain." I will post updates as frequently as I can.
If you are able, please continue to donate via paypal to the Friends of Black Mountain. We will surely incur expenses as we set about the task of building the best camp program EVER.
Thank you for your support.
Friends of Black Mountain
Many of you asked about Camp Black Mountain deposits and whether or not your unit would receive a refund of that deposit should the camp not be allowed by the Council to operate next summer. Apparently there is confusion because the registration form states no refunds and does not discuss what would happen if the camp were to not open.
This is taken directly from the 2013 CBM Leader's Guide:
deposits & payments:
A $250 non-refundable per unit deposit is required to reserve space for your group at any of the camp sessions. Due to the provisional status of this year’s program, your Registration must also indicate an alternate camp session at either Fire Mountain Scout Camp or another Council’s camp. Should Black Mountain Summer Camp sessions be suspended and you do not select Fire Mountain as your alternate, your complete deposit will be refunded.
Please make your reservations quickly to help ensure that we have a summer camp in 2013 at CBM.